Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

It's not easy being green


I could totally be a vegetarian. Really, I love all these weird veggie concoctions. Not that vegetarians are weird or anything…Just saying that every time I go into a natural Whole Foods-esque (I do live in Tally where we are slooowly catching on) market I get all in the zone. Soy, Spelt, Tofu, Kefir. Its heaven, I could spend all day there. And I am a label junkie! I must know every single thing about something before I buy it. This from the girl that loves Tofu Cacciatore but thinks Skittles are a food group.
But seriously whether you are granola or not, I am really on to something here. The Green Smoothie!


It’s so genius. It’s cleansing and pretty, and when you take it to-go people think you are uber healthy. Even little Jhett loves my smoothies. I mean really loves them. Half the time I make one for me, and she pretty much drinks the whole thing.
So here is my recipe and a few I want to try.
 My Refreshing Green Smoothie  ~Adapted from muffintinmania.com~

1 cup coconut water (don’t worry you won’t even taste it)
2 handfuls of organic spinach (you can start off small and build your way up)
1/2 -3/4 cup frozen mango
1 clementine
2-4 fresh mint leaves
1/2-3/4 tsp ground ginger
Optional add ins:  honey, almonds, greek yogurt, protein powder, more mint
Blend on High until smooth.

And some variations...
Green Monster Smoothie, a la iowagirleats.com

1 frozen banana
1 TBSP peanut butter
1/2cup vanilla greek yogurt
1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (or other kind of milk)
4 cups baby spinach
Blend until smooth.

Simple Green Smoothie, a la twopeasandtheirpod.com

1 large orange
1/2 banana
6 strawberries
2 cups spinach
1/3 cup greek yogurt
1 cup ice
Blend until smooth.
And if you're really brave....
The Glowing Green Smoothie, a la The Beauty Detox, kimberlysnyder.net
1 1/2-2 cups cold filtered water
6 cups spinach
5 cups romaine lettuce
2 stalks celery
1 apple, cored and chopped
1 pear, cored and chopped
1 banana
1-2 TBSP lemon juice
Blend until smooth. Use organic if possible.


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment