Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How to keep your guacamole from turning brown & Mango Guacamole Recipe

I heart Mexican! Any and all Mexican! Especially fresh guacamole. Which is a little weird since I don’t like avocados. Actually I’m the same way about tomatoes, but that’s another story.

Usually when I make guacamole at home there isn’t any left over! But every once in a while, if I make too much I will save it for later. And without fail, it always turns brown and grosses me out the next day, even after skimming the top, I’m still a little freaked out.

But I found a great new way to keep it green!

The reason it browns is the oxidation, so the key is to slow it down. (I know I sound really smart right now! Not to worry, I just read about it in Cooking Light. I should have gone on letting you think I am a genius!)

Avocado pic

There are 2 things you can do to slow down the oxidation:

  1. Use citrus. Chop up the avocado and squeeze fresh lime juice over it (about 3 tablespoons per avocado). Toss it in the juice and leave until ready to prepare. Then when you are ready to prepare, use some of the juice in the dip.
  2. When you are ready to store, rub a little olive oil on some plastic wrap then press down on the dip (oil side down). This will create a barrier. 

This will also work if you want to make it ahead of time for a party….Like Cinco De Mayo!! But remember that once it’s exposed to the air, it can begin to brown, so you can try to avoid that by serving in small batches.

Here’s a fun guacamole variation to try from How Sweet Eats (PS if you haven’t been to this blog, it’s amazing!!)

Mango Guacamole

mangoguac

  • 4 ripe avocados
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped mango
  • 1/3 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • juice of 2 limes
  • a big bunch of cilantro

Remove avocado meat and combine in a bowl with tomato, jalapeno, onion, mango and a bunch of torn cilantro. Add salt, pepper and lime juice and mix/mash until desired consistency is reached.

Any fun Cinco De Mayo Plans? I’d love to hear them.

blog signature

No comments:

Post a Comment