Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

How to follow a blog using Reader

Hello!

So if you read my post from last Monday, where I showed you how my friend Amy explained how to follow a blog, this is a follow up to that. Some of you may already use something to follow your blogs, like Google Reader, but if you have no idea what I’m talking about, then your day is about to get a whole lot better!!!!

Google Reader will simplify your world when it comes to following blogs. It basically keeps all of your subscriptions organized for you in one place. Kinda like TIVO!…Now are you with me?! So all of the blogs you follow will be updated every time you log in.

And the best part is you can pick and choose which posts you want to read!

So if trying out the yummy cupcakes I made will send you into a sugar induced shame spiral or reading about my insanely cute find from Old Navy will trigger your shopping addiction, in which you frantically add 15 items to your online shopping cart because of Free Shipping, then by all means, stop yourself! But if you can’t stand to miss one single post, then this will help you with that too! It’s all about options people!

Now I’m going to show you what I’m talking about. Look for the Pink Arrow in my fancy-shmancy demonstration!

This part is a little repetitive from Amy’s post, so bare with me. First you want to subscribe to the blog by clicking on the RSS Feed symbol. That’s the button on the bottom left.

reader symbol

When you click the RSS Feed symbol, you will get a screen like this. It is asking you to add it to your feed burner, aka your reader. Click on the Goggle Button. You will need a Gmail account, to use Google Reader.

reader image

Ok, so now you have added a blog to your Reader. To get to your Reader and begin reading the blogs you have subscribed to, just go to the Google homepage, and select the More tab at the top. It will drop down a list of options and you can select Reader.

google home

Once you have logged in and are in your Reader, it will look something like this! Super organized and easy to use. A little preview is generated on the main page for you. All of your subscriptions will be listed on the left.

google reader

I hope this helps you. I know I was so relieved once I started using Reader. No more bookmarking or Googling to keep up with your favorites. And if you really want to get hooked, add it to your phone. The app I use is called Feedler, but there are several to choose from. This is not the same as Google Reader, but you can sync it with your Google Reader account.

So now that everyone knows how to follow a blog and can read it in Google Reader, I’d love to know which blogs are your favorite. I’m always looking for new ones to follow.

blog signature

No comments:

Post a Comment